THOUGHTS FROM YOUR MEDIATOR CARLA COTROPIA FOR CLIENTS WHO HAVE NEVER ATTENDED MEDIATION
- There is no reason to be nervous. I will make sure that the experience is a positive one for you. This is simply a process that allows me to see if there is a way to resolve your case.
- You should know that this is not a trial and it will not be combative. I will be working my hardest to see if there is a settlement of your case that will work for all sides.
- You will not be cross examined since it is NOT a trial. However, it can be a tiring experience since you are actively listening and working with your attorney.
- You do not need to dress up and should wear something comfortable.
- I will talk with each side separately before we begin. Thereafter, everyone will be in one room for an Opening. Sometimes this Opening is just an informal “meet and greet”. Everyone introduces themselves and I do a short welcome. This is important because it starts the process in a positive light, in other words, an “ice breaker”. There are times that the lawyers like to make a short statement concerning their legal points in the Opening.
- After the Opening, each side will retire to their separate rooms for the remainder of the day. I will go back and forth between the rooms with one goal in mind, and that goal is to see if there is a way to settle the case. What we say in each room will be confidential unless I am instructed that I can take that information to the other side.
- One important thing to know is that I believe food is important so we will have a nice lunch. I look forward to meeting you and working with you to find a positive solution to your lawsuit.